Learn more about the impact the Cargill Global Scholars Program has had on Scholars in China.
Click here to read the FAQs in Chinese.
What is the Cargill Global Scholars Program?
The Cargill Global Scholars Program is a distinctive scholarship opportunity that provides financial support in addition to leadership development opportunities through seminars, networking events, and a mentorship program.
Through this scholarship program, Cargill wants to help nourish and build a network of future leaders who can develop new innovations and positively contribute to their communities. This program embodies Cargill’s commitment to improving living standards and promoting vibrant and stable communities around the globe.
There are several key reasons to be a part of the Cargill Global Scholars Program.
- Receive scholarship funding for up to two years to help off-set your undergraduate education expenses
- Participate in Cargill Global Scholars enrichment activities where you will have the opportunity to network with Cargill executives, community and business leaders, and members of the Cargill Global Scholars worldwide network
- Receive academic and professional guidance and counseling from a Cargill leader through the mentorship program
- Join a growing community of future world leaders and visionaries
Who Can Apply?
Applicant eligibility will be determined based on the following required criteria:
- Citizen or permanent resident of China
- Enrollment in one of the partner universities which include:
- China Agricultural University (CAU)
- Fudan University (FUDAN)
- Jilin University (JU)
- Northwest A&F University (NWAFU)
- Shanghai Jiaotong University (SJTU)
- South China University of Technology (SCUT)
- First or second year university student
- Demonstrate high academic performance
- Demonstrate leadership potential
Special consideration will be given to applicants who can also demonstrate:
- Financial need
- Specialization in one of the following fields of study:
- College of Food Science and Nutritional Engineering at CAU
- College of Animal Science and Technology at CAU
- School of Economics at FUDAN
- School of Management at FUDAN
- College of Food Science and Engineering at JU
- College of Animal Science and Technology at NWAFU
- Antai College of Economics and Management at SJTU
- School of Agriculture and Biology at SJTU
- School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology at SJTU
- School of Food Science and Engineering at SCUT
- Familiarity with English
How Many Scholarships will be Awarded in China?
Maximum ten scholarships will be awarded in the 2021-2022 academic year.
What are the Scholarship Benefits?
Each Cargill Global Scholar will receive the following:
- An annual scholarship award of $2,500 USD for up to two years, to help off-set any academic related expenses.
- Each Cargill Global Scholar will participate in a fully-funded three day leadership seminar during the first year of the program designed to enhance the scholars’ leadership skills ensuring that each participant’s full potential to effect change is reached at the culmination of the program.
- Participate in a fully funded Global Leadership Seminar during the second year of the program. This activity will bring together all of the Cargill Global Scholars from each cohort across the six program countries for a week-long seminar that will involve a series of experiential learning enrichment activities coupled with networking opportunities with Cargill executives.
- Each Cargill Global Scholar will be paired with a Cargill leader who will serve as a mentor over the duration of the program. The Cargill mentors will help the scholars identify short and long term academic and professional goals and will assist in reaching these goals through networking, face-to-face meetings and regular email and phone communication.
- Membership in the Cargill Global Scholars alumni community.
What Are the Deadlines & Dates?
- Application must be submitted in full by May 18, 2022 at 11:59pm China Time. (Deadline extended to May 27)
- Interviews will be scheduled with all semi-finalists in June 2022.
- Award winners will be announced in July 2022.
HOW HAS COVID-19 IMPACTED THE PROGRAM?
The safety and well-being of our Cargill Global Scholars Program participants is of the utmost importance to us. We will continue to monitor the COVID-19 pandemic over the coming months to assess whether program activities for 2022 will happen through an in-person or virtual format.
How to Apply
Any supporting documents that you are unable to submit online must be sent by the deadline of May 18, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to your application, the supporting documents that must be sent include:
- High School/Gaokao Transcripts (screenshot accepted)
- University Transcripts (official transcripts issued by university)
- One Letter of Reference (applicants provide recommenders contact information in the application system, recommenders will receive the link by email for online recommendation form)
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume both in English and Simplified Chinese
For more information on the scholarship, please contact:
Institute of International Education
Room 2001 20/F, Lee Garden 3
1 Sunning Road, Causeway Bay